Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Well, true to form I haven't been back to write since the first post... was really hoping this would give me a place to put down all those profound thoughts that wander in when Im out watching the sunset. Sadly many wander right back out before I ever come close to jotting them down. Now after dealing with a wicked stomach virus for the last few days Im about desperate for some diversion from all that fun. Too bad I can't  muster up very much energy to go looking for it ...  At least it was cooler out today and we had a nice batch of showers pass thru. Im watching the hummingbirds sparring with each other over feeder rights. I have 3 feeders out there but in the last hour I swear at one point there's been 5-6 of them out there doing their best imitation of the Harry Potter gang on their wild Quidditch brooms. One will be trying to eat and here comes another one zooming in a high speeds to buzz them and then others appear out of nowhere to join in. Funny thing is that I think they are all family. When the summer starts I only have one male and female but by mid summer there is always at least 2 of each but some have juvenile feathers. So my thought is that its the fledged youngsters that stick around where they were taught to eat even tho the parents have had enough of them...  Now I know why I like these birds so much beside the just plain fun of watching them. We seem to have very similar families, even between the two parents. Im not quite as selfish, I don't mind sharing my feeder but find myself defending territory almost as much as Lady Hummer does. Think I may have to study her technique a bit more... she heads off in the fall footloose and fancy free which certainly has it allure. Then again me being who I am I can't imagine cutting those invisible threads of love that link me to my own squabbling family. Maybe a few more feeders next year with some distance between them will work  ( for me and the hummers ).

No comments:

Post a Comment